Friday, January 2, 2015

Rick Sowell Reflects on His Pro Indoor Lacrosse Career

Captain Rick Sowell of the Baltimore Thunder, late 1980s
Playing Pro lacrosse was a great experience. I came into the indoor league in its second year of existence and it was fun to be a part of something that had a bright future. I was fortunate to play in historic arena’s, such as the old Boston Garden, Nassau Coliseum and the Spectrum in Philly. It was also a thrill to play in front of some sold out arena’s, seventeen thousand fans cheering in an indoor building can be very loud and a tremendous rush. Travelling to different cities every weekend, competing in front of great crowds and then meeting great people after the game was awesome. At the same time I was coaching under Dave Urick at Georgetown. Working under him for 8 years was a truly a blessing. I learned so much from being around him day in and day out. I learned how to plan practice’s so the players are not only working hard, but enjoying what they’re doing. He also taught me to let the players do what they do best, don’t try and control every aspect of the game. Coach Urick has unbelievable composure during the games as he keeps an even keel even in high pressure situations. I think of him when I need to remind myself to stay calm. Finally, he is one of the funniest people I know, just a GREAT guy to be around! 

Rick Sowell Stories: http://lacrossememoir.blogspot.com/search?q=Rick+Sowell+

No comments:

Post a Comment