Friday, August 3, 2012

Navy Head Coach Rick Sowell on How to “Really Play” the Game

Guest blogger Navy Head Coach Rick Sowell on learning the game lacrosse back at Horseheads high school in western New York (photo from lacrosse magazine)
Coach Rick Sowell: After months of Coach Moffitt explaining to me how the game is “really” played and that I could be good someday, I took a chance, a chance that proved to be one heck of a turning point in my life. It took a little time to develop my stick skills, but it didn’t take long to fall in love with the game. In the inaugural varsity season, I played the long pole position and our team finished with a modest 5-13 record. The next season, I became a short stick two way middie (offense and defense) and also played some attack. I went from scoring zero goals my first season to twenty six as a junior. In my senior year, our team posted a 14-5 record and I lead the team in goals with sixty. Not bad improvement over those 3 years!



No comments:

Post a Comment