Thursday, June 18, 2015

The Freeport Summer League


The U.S. National Team Helmet, The Ultimate Status Symbol In Men's Lacrosse  (Courtesy of Lacrosse Magazine) 
In todays segment in our series on summer leagues we go to Freeport, Long Island. I remember the first time I played in the old Freeport Summer League back in 1982. The site of an ACC team or National team helmet put the fear of God in the mind of an opposing teams without such lofty head gear. Coming from Westchester and Herkimer seeing National Team player Vinnie Sombrotto in his helmet on the team we had to play in my first Freeport game both thrilled and terrified me. Manhasset’s Ray Crawford grew up with alum from his high school who played at elite college programs, “it didn’t intimidate me at all. For me it was like another game against kids from rival lacrosse schools like Port Washington or Garden City [high schools].” Vinnie Sombrotto and I later became teammates on championship teams on Long Island Hofstra Lacrosse Club 1987-89, the New York Saints of the Major Indoor Lacrosse League, and the 1990 U. S. National Team. After games I often went with the Manhasset boys to their town for some outrageously good sandwiches and muffins at the famed Manhasset Deli. I can still taste and smell one of their hot corn muffins wrapped in that white deli paper. 

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blog and waiting for your next update. I appreciate all the work you put into this site. Keep share with us.

    Ultimate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I remember those years. Played for Harvey's 1982/83 which had several All Americans and National Team players. Chris Kane, Frankie Giordano, Barry Cohen, coached by legend Harvey Cohen. Many others who are legends in lacrosse were on those fields on both sides.

    ReplyDelete