Friday, January 30, 2015

Developing A Love For the Game Part 1

Hobart All American Ed Howard. He died suddenly last week  
The defining moment in Ed Howard's decision to play lacrosse came during a meeting with Hobart lacrosse coaching staff. Coach Urick and Schimdt “encouraged me to come out for lacrosse,” says Ed Howard. He goes on to say, “From my perspective, I owe my entire lacrosse experience to Coaches Schmidt and Urick. What they saw in a former basketball player that made them think he could be a lacrosse player is beyond me?” The fact that at Hobart lacrosse was king also played a role in decision to take up the game. “I had never heard of lacrosse [but] I could see that it was THE SPORT on campus,” says Howard. He started practicing with Hobart’s B team where freshmen recruits and walk on players tested their metal. 

Hobart All American Ed Howard: http://lacrossememoir.blogspot.com/search?q=Ed+Howard

1 comment:

  1. Ed was my big brother to speak of. Not only was he a geart mentor on the field, he was an amazing role model in life. Much thanks and appriciation goes out to Ed for helping see the value of a Hobart education. I am now the President of a Tv station for Gannnett Broadcasting. While I never acheived much success on the lacrosse field, my life was greatly infulenced by Ed and I have gained many life rewards from my association with him. We are still in contact with each other and I am produd that I had this opportunity to be so closely associated wtih Ed.

    Russell Postell Hobart class of 1982

    ReplyDelete